Countdown to Moving Day!
- Call for estimates from 3 professional movers.
- Draw a floor plan of your new home.
- Call the Chamber of Commerce in your new town for their “residential informational packet.”
- Inventory all possessions now. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate.
- Complete US Postal change of address forms, mail to media, stores, etc.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, and vet records.
- Transfer records between schools on both ends of the move.
- Ask tax advisor to review your potential moving related tax deductions and potential tax liability.
- Itemize moving related costs with mover, including packaging, loading, special charges, insurance, etc.
- Repair, send out for re-upholstery, or clean furniture, drapes, carpet if needed.
- Advertise a garage/yard/tag sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories, clothes, etc.
- If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing days 1 or 2 days before the move.
- If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing material, and tape now.
- Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records.
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials and equipment.
- Pack items you won’t use immediately or that will go in storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
- Final walk through- Make sure all items are removed and the home is swept clean prior to buyer’s walk through. Sign “Walk Through” sheet!
- Go to bank and get certified check.
- You need to have your driver’s license to closing.
- Go to title company and close on your new home!